How sun-savvy are you?
#SunAwarenessWeek is here and most of us only think about sun protection when we are on holiday or when it’s warm but it should be part of our daily routine. Being sun-savvy is really important so here’s our 7 top tips to stay safe in the sun;
1. Use sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy.
2. Apply at least one ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a shot glass) at least 15 to 30 minutes before going outside. Also use a lip balm or lipstick that contains sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
3. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
4. Reapply sunscreen every two hours.
5. Keep babies younger than 6 months old completely covered and in the shade.
6. Limit the amount of time you’re in the sun between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM. This is when the sun’s rays are the most intense. Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, the sun’s rays are at their strongest, and you should find shade.
7. Accessorise with a hat that shades your face, neck, and ears and a pair of sunglasses. Include a floaty tunic over your swimsuit to protect those tender bits like your shoulders.
But most of all enjoy the good weather.